Hartsville Fire Company wants to remind you to change the batteries in all your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you set your clocks back this weekend.
A fire doubles in size every 30 seconds and the sound of the alarm can give you and your family those few extra seconds to get out. Checking your smoke detector and changing the battery is one of the simplest things you can do to protect your family. When smoke alarms fail to operate, it is usually because batteries are bad, disconnected or missing. Smoke is often what kills fire victims because the smoke puts you in a deeper sleep and without the sound of the smoke alarm, you succumb to the smoke as you breathe it in. There should be at least one smoke detector outside of each sleeping area and on every floor of your home.
We also encourage everyone who has a carbon monoxide alarm to change the batteries in them as well. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can kill you before you are even aware it is in your house. It causes side effects such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, disorientation and fatigue that are often mistaken for the flu. These effects can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and length of exposure. It is recommended a carbon monoxide detector be purchased if you use gas or a fireplace for your heating, and be installed near every separate sleeping area of the home.